Learn to Skate
Mississauga Figure Skating Club offers four Learn to Skate programs:
- Parent and Tot
- Adult CanSkate
Please note: There is a Helmet policy in place as required by Skate Canada for all Learn to Skate programs. The helmet must be a CSA approved hockey helmet, and must be worn for all participants (including adults) up to and including CanSkate Level 5.
For the CanSkate and PreCanSkate levels, a parent must be present in the arena at all times during the skater's session.
Curious about the new Canskate Program?
CanSkate (Ages 5 & up)
CANSKATE is Skate Canada's flagship learn-to-skate program. It teaches the fundamentals of skating in a progress and sequential manner. Designed for beginners of all ages, the focus is on fun, participation and basic skill development.
Based on Sport Canada's Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) principles, CanSkate has been recently revised to include a fresh new look, new awards, great tools for coaches and most importantly, a tested and proven new curriculum and delivery methods that guarantee skater success in developing stronger basic skills and developing them faster. The new program also includes specific skills that pertain to hockey, ringette, and figure skating. The result is a dynamic new program that prepares all skaters for virtually every ice sport.
Participants earn ribbons and badges as skills are mastered. Skaters are taught in a group lesson format by NCCP certified professional coaches, who are assisted by trained Program Assistants.
- Sessions are 50 minutes in length.
- Sessions include a 10 minute large group warm-up and a 10 minute group cool-down period.
- Sessions include a 30 minute small group lesson.
- Skater to coach ratio is low (10:1 or less).
- Skaters progress at their own rate.
- Skaters move to next stage upon completion of previous stage.
- There is 90% movement on ice during sessions.
- We use music, teaching aids and a wide variety of activities to make learning fun.
- We host fun days and other special events throughout year.
- Give ribbons and badges as they are earned for fundamental movements and stages.
- Participate in Skate Canada CanSkate medal program.
- Give regular progress reports and report cards to parents/guardians.
- Skaters can participate in area wide annual competition.
- Skater can participate in Club events such as the Ice Show.
- Parents can arrange for private coaching during the warm up and cool down periods.
Pre-CanSkate (Ages 3 to 5)
PRE-CANSKATE is a 30 minute learn-to-skate program, especially designed for those participants who are 3-5 years of age. Lessons are in a group format and led by an Nationally Certified Professional Coach with the assistance of trained Program Assistants. The coach/program assistant to student ratio is 1:6. Skaters who master PreCanSkate skills are moved to CanSkate level as soon as they are ready.
Adult Canskate (Ages 18 and up)
ADULT CANSKATE is a 40 minute session that follows the same format as the CanSkate program, with the exception of badges and incentives. Lessons are in a group format and led by an Nationally Certified Professional Coach. No previous skating experience is required. Please read the Helmet policy on this page.
Parent and Tot Skate (Ages 2 to 4)
Parent and Tot is a 30 minute session designed so young children can experience skating for the first time in the company of a parent.
The same parent must accompany the skater on the ice for each class. The parent must be able to skate forwards and backwards, and stop on the ice, and must wear a helmet at all times.
CSA approved hockey helmets are mandatory for Pre-CanSkate, CanSkate, Adult Canskate and PrePowerSkate stages 1 through 5. This policy is mandated by Skate Canada and will be enforced during all skating activities including competitions, ice shows or any other special on-ice activities throughout the season, for this level of skater. It will also be enforced for guest skaters during family skates.
Canskate Equipment & Safety
Here is a short Safety & Equipment that will guide you in purchasing skates and a helmet for your skaters, and dressing them comfortably so they can get the most out of their Canskate sessions.